Saturday, January 25, 2014

Salvation Tastes Good!

I will never forget my birthday in Jamaica. It began like any other P-day. We emailed, we shopped, we came home. When we got home I changed into some sweats. There I was sitting innocently at my desk, trying to budget my money for the rest of the month then all of a sudden, FLOUR EVERYWHERE... In my hair, in my ears, down my shirt, everywhere. Sister Collier and Sister Rampersad got me good, when I least expected it. The AP's called and sang happy birthday to me, my district leader and his companions sang to me, a kid named Demar called and sang to me, and I got some random Jamaicans to sing to me. It was awesome! I wore the "Birthday Girl" pin mom sent me, and everyone wished me Happy Birthday. In the evening, we went to the Hudson's house. One of their sons, Jevon, was up in a tree, and right when I walked under it, he poured flour all over me. Last of all, we had an old nasty pillow in the back of our truck bed for the longest time, so I decided to burn it. I lit it of fire with roach spray and a match. I've never been into lighting things on fire, but it was a fun way to spend my birthday. I didn't eat any cake, but I did have brownies. 

Okay, so this last week was sort of stressful and slow. Eh, it happens. We had such a slump one day, that we called our branch president to ask him if we could do anything for him, and he said, "Come give me a lesson!" So we taught him about enduring, and he ended up teaching us. It was awesome, and it was a spiritual boost I needed in the middle of the week. 

So, we estimated that we had 10 people confirm that they were coming to church and come Sunday, and nobody showed up. Sister Rampersad and I were writing a note back and forth to each other right after the sacrament was passed and this is what it said:
Sis R: Nobody came...
Me: Hey, at least we know our souls are saved.
Sis R: True that. We did our part. That bread tasted really good.
Me: That is because salvation tastes good.

So yeah, next time you take the sacrament (the bread and water), just remember, salvation tastes good. 

We are kinda back to square one with all our investigators. We had to drop a bunch, and now we are looking for more. Sigh. It happens all the time. But, that is no reason to be discouraged. If there is one thing I've learned from all this, it is that a positive attitude really gets you a long way. If you are negative, missionary work sucks. If you are positive, it is the best thing in the world, no matter the outcome. While watching a talk by Elder Holland he said, "Some blessings come soon, some come late. Some don't come until Heaven. But for those that embrace the Gospel of Jesus Christ, they come. It will be alright in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come." That is where I'm at right now. I'm just sitting here, trusting God, that good things are just around the corner. As for the slump, who cares. I'm just going to work my butt off and enjoy being here, serving the Lord. 

Tender mercies of the week:
1. We had no one to see, everyone bailed on us, so we decided to visit this old man (Brother Tillock) in the branch. We went to his house and his head was in his hands. When we said his name, he looked up and had the BIGGEST smile on his face. He was so happy we came. Sunday at church he brought us cookies, it was the cutest thing.
2. Also, a man who was less active for a while, invited us over, and fed us fried chicken. OH man, I have developed an undying love for fried chicken. I think I maybe ate it a few times in my life until I came to Jamaica. It's the best. 

Okay, well, love you all, 
-Sister Pitt



Flour EVERYWHERE!

AWESOME!

Oh Well!

Haha! The Guys Who Washed Our Van!
SO HILARIOUS!

He Begged To Braid My Hair!

Best Painting Ever!

Free Black Man Now And Now!
Happy Martin Luther King Day! 
Happy Birthday To Me!



Burn Baby Burn



I Thought It Looked Cool!

My Birthday Party!

Tudy and I!

It SHOULD Say:
"DON'T DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE"

No comments:

Post a Comment