Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Time and Patience

It's so ironic that I live in a place called, "Time and Patience," yet I lack both of those things. 

This week has been... let's just say a struggle. A struggle with missionary work, but everything else has been super hilarious. We are just struggling with investigators mostly. Almost all of them are not keeping any commitments. It's rough, but I mean, I still feel extremely positive. Every time we see someone I always think to myself, 'This is it! This is the time where they read from the Book of Mormon,' But alas, we always end up a bit disappointed. I have been giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, which I will continue to do, and maybe one of these days I will be surprised! "The sun will come out tomorrow!" -Little Orphan Annie.

There are so many bugs, everywhere. Especially after it rains. Sister Woolf and I were driving and there was this huge bug flying around in the truck. She screamed, I screamed, we all screamed for ice-cream. We shrieked and laughed for 10 minutes, and I think we probably killed the bug from excessive noise. We have way too much fun. We have two CD's that we listen to all the time, and we have been getting SO sick of them. Soooo, we end up singing Disney songs at the top of our lungs, without any music. If we get bored of Disney songs, we sing Phantom of the Opera. That's when it gets CaRaZyyyy. 

So, last week P-Day, we went to Spanish Town to buy groceries, because they have an actual grocery store, with like a checkout that beeps, shopping carts, and all that amazing good stuff. They also have a bigger selection of American things, which are a bit more expensive, but not bad. Anyways, I was craving mexican food, because I had totally forgot about Cinco De Mayo. I bought all the ingredients for homemade tortillas and stuff, and viola! I made it, all by myself. Dad, be proud of me. Sister Woolf and I were in heaven. It was nice to have a break from strange meats and 5 HUGE cups of rice. 

A common occurrence in Jamaica: Seeing women's breasts. We were going to go visit this lady named June and she was completely topless. She just talked to use half naked for about five minutes. Awkward. I didn't know what to do, where to look, etc... Often when we are teaching, a woman will just whip out her bosom and start breast feeding. I'm just like, WHOA THERE. I'm being dramatic, it's not bad, but I can't even imagine how awkward it would be if I was an Elder and that happened. No shame these people have. It's also weird because almost no one here wears a bra or shaves their pits or legs. I am almost tempted to not shave my legs either, because I hate shaving, but NO I will not give into temptation. 

I got to go to Ocho Rios on Wednesday for District meeting! Ocho Rios is a tourist town. I saw so many white people! It was like Christmas. We ate at Burger King. I know I've only been out a month, but I gave some good praises to that hamburger. I don't think I've ever thanked the Lord so much for a crappy fast food meal. It was glorious. Mmm, normal tasting ketchup. District meeting was fantastic. I learn SO much when I go to those things. The worst thing is that we realized that there are a huge chunk of our investigators we have to drop because they are just not serious and not progressing. We've been trying our hardest, but they are just not ready to receive the Gospel. They are not elect. So, this next week we are devoting our week to FINDING. We are going to get as many referrals from members as possible and just contact. Hopefully out of 100 people we talk to, one will need this in their life immediately. With everyone else, it's seed planting time. Maybe someday in the future, they will be ready. I hope so.

OH. THE WORST, MOST AWKWARD THING. So, Sister Woolf and I were at the Police Station, apparently I had to report my lost Passport, no one told me. Anyways, I was doing that, and this creepy guy wanted to talk to Sister Woolf in private. She said no. He kept trying to get her to stand up. I think somewhere in the conversation, I said we are companions, we can't be seperate, and he took it like we are lesbians. HAHA, we were like, "No no no no no! That's not what we meant." Anyways, I pretty much told the guy off. I was like, "She is not interested. Leave us alone. GOODBYE." And it was so annoying, because none of the police officers where doing anything. They just laughed. Speaking of lesbians.... I GOT HIT ON ONE. AT CHURCH. AT CHURCH of all places. What the heck. I was sitting in the pews, and there was this girl that kept trying to get my attention. I waved and smiled because she just looked like she wanted to say hi. She kept trying to get my attention. After church, she comes up to me and says, "I like you." In a creepy whisper. I was like, "Oh that is nice, as a friend right?" Then she just stared at me and shook her head no. I mean, nothing against lesbians or anything, but seriously, at church?! 

Last night, our car broke down. The oil light turned on a few days ago, but you know us girls, we didn't think anything about it. We were teaching a recent convert a lesson, and then it wouldn't start. We immediately called the branch president, and he dropped everything he was doing and came to our rescue with his neighbor! It is so comforting to know we always have help. Especially being in a weird country, it is nice to know that friendly people are only a phone call away. It's like whenever I see a member of the church here, I feel so safe and comforted. Whenever I see the Elders, I immediately feel like a stress relief because I'm like, normal people! hahaha, I'm still getting used to everything out here, but I'm slowly getting better. 

Overall, everything is great. One investigator Bryan, has a baptismal date, hopefully everything works out. I can't believe it's already Monday again. Another week. Another day, another dollar. Except, no dollars, because we don't make money. Everyone is great here, they give us so many mangoes. I don't really like the mangoes here because they are stringy, but it's nice that they do that. This one investigator we have gave us fresh grown corn! It was so good eating it. 

I'm in 3rd Nephi right now, in the Book of Mormon. There is this scripture that I just love. 3rd Nephi 11:14. "Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world." I had like a little epiphany after I read this, of the day I will be able to see Christ, feel his scars, and just be filled with complete joy. I think a little tear came to my eye. It is a beautiful thought, to know that Christ has redeemed my soul, and someday, I will be able to thank him for that. 

I love you all, I miss you all. I will keep working hard, laughing a lot and choosing to do the right thing.
-Sister Pitt

Sunset in Jamaica
Corn!!!

Important Black Men

Mexican Meal


Rastaman

A Street Performer


Where we run in the mornings

No comments:

Post a Comment