Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Never a Dull Moment!

This week was a roller coaster. The strangest thing is that whenever I feel down, I still feel happy. Whenever I feel like everyone is against us, I still feel on top of the world. I pray every single day to have a positive attitude and to be joyful. I've never been so glad in such awkward or heartbreaking situations before. Sister Woolf and I were talking about how in Alma, Ammon is SO joyous about the Gospel. There is a point he is so happy that he FAINTS. He is preaching and all of a sudden he is overcome and it says he falls to the Earth. For some reason we thought that was the funniest thing ever. Who knew that the scriptures would make me laugh so hard. Just imagine talking about something, being so excited and all of a sudden you just fall. HAHA... It's not really that funny... You had to be there.

Sister Woolf and I drive a truck, so we started doing this thing where we drive extremely slowly and just start talking to people walking on the street. We just roll up and are like, "Hey, what is your name?!" I have never felt more like a stalker in my life. When we go street contacting, you are pretty much analyzing people to see if they will talk to you. We have met the funniest people while doing this. Every day is a riot. Sometimes when we get lost, Sister Woolf will say, "Where are we?" and I will be like, "Oh my gosh... ARE WE IN JAMAICA? How did we get here?" Seriously though, I ask myself that question every single day. How did I get to this point in my life? How did I end up choosing to do this? I really don't know. It all feels like it happened so fast. I still can't believe I am here. I don't know when reality will set in. I don't know when I'll start yearning for home, but thus far, everything is alright.

I HATE JAMAICAN POLICE STATIONS. They are so slow. I've been there so many times trying to get my police report for my lost passport, and they take forever. They all know Sister Woolf and I now, because I just sit there complaining until someone helps me. And when they finally do, they try to tell me what I need to do, and I'm all like, "No, no, you are not listening. I NEED this, NOW." I am finally getting the letter from the police station sometime today or tomorrow. I wish Mom were here to just do it for me, hahaha! Oh what a luxury that was. But, as for now, I am still an illegal alien here. It's fine though because I have my passport, I am just waiting on the letter so I can get my work permit stamped in it. 

So on Wednesday, we had our District meeting. It was awesome. It always lifts my spirit and makes me so positive. The AP's came out and they helped us get our oil changed after the meeting. Apparently the car place rips people off, especially women, so we made sure to have Elders with us to check everything. It was fun because our District, Zone Leaders, and the AP's all went out to this fast food place called Tastee's, which has really good meat patties. When we walk down the street, we are all white, except for two of the Elders, so everyone stares at us. It's a parade. I immediately thought, "The Mormons are coming!" Because, we really were. 

During the week, our District leader, Elder Hefner called us to give us a referral. At the end of the conversation he asked us to grab our white handbook. He said to turn to page 35. Page 35 talks about how you are not allowed to change a child's diaper. He was all like, "Sister's, I hate to say this, but we've been getting some complaints about you changing diapers..." Sister Woolf and I started freaking out. We were like, "ARE YOU KIDDING? We are not doing that! They are lying. THEY HATE US. This is so stupid.!" We ranted for about 5 minutes until Elder Hefner was all like, "I'm just kidding." Then we screamed at him for a little while. The reason why this prank worked out so well was because Elder Hefner is so serious, and he has this very mature demeanor, so we didn't see this joke coming at all. He got us so good, and we've been laughing about it all week. 

There is never a dull moment here. Especially when crazy rasta men want to sing and dance for you. I wish I could show you all the video of it. It was so funny, that I started crying. I was laughing SO hard. I guess you will all get to see it in a year and a half. This man was seriously insane. But, it made my day. Also, Jamaica is so beautiful. It is gorgeous out here. The other day we had to drive to this less active who lives about 35 minutes away. The drive was stunning. The mountains are huge and round. Everything is green. There are huge valleys of corn and sugar cane. The road we drive on is canopied with vines and trees. It was amazing because on the way back, the sun was setting, and it was coming through the trees. It was glorious. It reminded me of the scripture, "Everything denotes that there IS a God." The beauty of this place was a tender mercy for me, because when I saw it, I wasn't having the greatest day ever. It also solidified my belief in God even more. I'm just baffled at how all of this was made. 

Yesterday, Sunday, was an interesting day. One of the Elders in our area got a kidney stone, so they had to borrow our truck. We had to walk to our appointments, but for some reason, it turned out to be the best day ever. We met with these two young girls, who we committed to baptism. They said yes! We had dinner at a members house, and we made it to their house, right before a big rain storm. By the time we left, the rain had stopped. When we were walking, our Mission President drove by, and picked us up. Everything worked out so perfectly, even though we had to walk so far. It was also super fun because we had a member, Tiana (18 year old, preparing for a mission), with us. I thought about Cameron on his mission walking up to 10 miles or more in one day! What an inspiration. 

Overall, not much else to say. I'm excited for this coming week. This Friday, someone from the Quorum of the Seventy's is coming to our Zone Conference. I will get to see Sister Savage! I'm so happy. We get to drive out to Kingston and see all the missionaries here in Jamaica. There are about 80 of us. This last week was great, and hopefully this week will be even better.

Family, I miss you tons. Have fun with our annual Memorial Day traditions! <3

LOVE,
SISTA PITT

All the Fruit the People Gave Us!

Crazy Rasta Man Who Danced for Us

District

Elder Nugent! He's Famous, his grandfather was the first member in Jamaica  to be baptized.

He Came Up With the Pose.

In Court With The Elder Who Lost My Passport

Sister Woolf and I


No comments:

Post a Comment