Monday, June 10, 2013

Here Comes 'TROUBLE'!

Everyone in Jamaica has a real name and then a yard name. A yard name is basically a nick name, but more based on your personality. Sister Woolf's yard name is 'Excitement.' Somehow, I have been given the name, 'Trouble Maker' or 'Trouble' for short. It's mainly because I keep trying to scare the Branch President by hiding behind a wall then popping out and screaming at him. Hey, girls just wanna have fun. Speaking of fun, Sister Woolf told me that she didn't know a mission could be fun until I became her companion. (I'm not trying to sound cocky or anything, by the way haha). I thought it was the best compliment ever. I hope I can always maintain a positive and fun attitude while I'm out here. 

This week, a lot happened, but at the same time, not much. I mainly can't remember this week. It was a blur. We met this guy named Andre, who we thought was really cool, at first... Apparently he used to have his green card for the U.S. and he was even in the military. He went to Bosnia during that war that Bill Clinton stopped. But, he got deported back here to Jamaica. I'm not sure what he did to get sent back here... He told Sister Woolf and I that he has died seven times, and God keeps bringing him back to life. He also rapped for us. I got it on film, but sadly I can't show any of you. Jamaicans are so willing to sing for the camera. Anyways, we probably are not going to teach him anymore, because he is crazy, and we just get a weird feeling from him. 

So, I'm not trying to brag or anything, but we are teaching a girl who is related to Bob Marley. I'm not even joking. Her name is Christina, and it's not like a super close relation, but she is. Christina is amazing. She told us when she was little she was extremely sick, and she would pray all the time to help her get through the hard times. She said she told God that she would search to find the truth. Christina has been to so many different churches, but says none of them feel right. We taught her, gave her a Book of Mormon, and invited her to church. We only met her a week ago, and she has already started reading, and she wanted to come to church. We taxied with her, which was extremely fun. Only in Jamaica would you be smashed in a cab with a man with dreads driving, reggae music playing, and the guy next you reeking of marijuana. Anyways, Christina told us she loved church! She is awesome and so willing to listen and learn. We have been developing a great friendship with her. Pray for Sister Woolf and I as we work our hardest to help her progress in the Gospel!

I don't feel like I have much to say today! I guess I'll just leave on this thought: So, we were singing the song, "I Hope They Call me on a Mission," with a family out here. I was thinking about how in primary I used to sing it loud with all the other children. At that time, I never in my wildest imagination thought I would actually serve a mission and be in Jamaica, of all places. It's just crazy to think back to that moment, and realize what has become of me. I'm so grateful to be out here. I am grateful for the gospel. I am grateful for the love that I have for the people here. They are all so amazing, and unique. Today is my two month mark, that went so fast... 

I've grown more spiritually and mentally in this two months than any other time in my life. It took me 20 years to get to where I was, and then two months to have it all changed, for the better.

Love,
Sister Pitt


Christina! She's related to this guy!


Beautiful Jamaica!

Sister Reid



No comments:

Post a Comment