Monday, July 22, 2013

Week 14

So, there I was, sitting in our study room, planning for the week to come. All of a sudden, I hear footsteps coming up behind me. Sister Woolf was right next to me, so it couldn't possibly be her... Slowly, I turn around and to my surprise a huge goat is standing right behind me. I screamed. Sister Woolf screamed. We then chased it out of our house. The lady who does our wash, Sister Wallace, left the back door open, so the local farm animals decided to crash our weekly planning. It had huge horns and I was afraid it was going to stab me so I yelled, "It's going to HORN us." I meant stab, but Sister Woolf started laughing so hard. We were both in tears and I thought in my head, "This would never happen on the Salt Lake City Temple Square mission."

Um. So. We are in a metaphorical "drought" in terms of missionary work. I'm not trying to be negative in any way, but man, it's tough. We have investigators, we don't have investigators. We are always busy, we can't find a single person to see. We are happy, we are sad. It's a roller coaster of emotions and feelings. I've been finding out so much about myself, and more importantly my Savior through these hard times. At the beginning of this week we had an investigator named Alisa. Who is awesome and prepared. Sadly, she lives with someone who is... a jerk. We got to teach her for one week, so we taught her the basics. She loved it, she almost cried when we were saying goodbye. My heart felt like it was breaking. I know she wants the Gospel, but she is living in a circumstance that won't allow her to accept it. I kept thinking about in Alma how it talks about planting a seed of faith. Maybe the seed we planted will grow, eventually.

We literally had nothing to do, and no one to see the other day, so we went proselyting. Proselyting in Jamaica is hilarious. You just meet so many people. Odd people. It was completely useless though. We met no one who was interested. It's so weird, because usually they want to talk to white people, but nope. I'm wondering if Heavenly Father is trying to teach us something, or Satan is trying to get us down. Either way, we are pressing forward in faith. We are being exactly obedient, I am learning a lot. We try to get referrals from members, but it hasn't worked so far.


BUT, on Sunday something awesome happened that might just make a change with the missionary work here in Jamaica. It was district conference, and about 700 members showed up to the Spanish Town branch. President Brown was the concluding speaker, and can I just tell you, HE IS AN AMAZING SPEAKER. I compare him to Alma the Younger and Amulek. He has so much power, and he can speak right to your heart. He explained that in 2003 there was about 5,100 members of the church here in Jamaica. Ten years later there is only 300 more. He went onto say that there are 2.8 million people in Jamaica, that are just waiting for the Gospel, but the missionaries need the help of the members to help us find those who are prepared. He then called up all the missionaries and said, "These young men and women are here to serve you! They are your missionaries. They are called of God to bring people to the Gospel." He then asked us missionaries to sing Called to Serve. (This was all on the spot, none of us knew he would do this). We all sang, and by the second verse, the whole entire congregation was standing singing with us. It was powerful. Hopefully that helps the members realize how important they are in this work. They are so essential.

We are all called to serve. We are all members of HIS church. We have the sacred duty and responsibility to bring people closer to Christ. It's not just the missionaries, it's every single person who has been baptized. I'm so happy I get to be an official missionary. Sharing my testimony has brought me more joy than anything else. The scriptures comfort me. Praying guides me when I feel down. Even though we have been facing trials, I have never been happier. Each day, I learn of something new I am grateful for.

I love you family, and miss you a lot. Sometimes when the breeze is nice and the coconut trees sway I am transported back to home. Then I see a crazy rasta man singing to himself and I am brought to my senses. Thank you for the love and support you send my way. Thank you so much for your prayers. I can feel your love each day.

Peace and blessings,
Sister Pitt

Alisa

Andre

A Chair a Lady made me sit on

Jamaican Children

Mr. Williams

Sister Missionaries

Watermelon

1 comment:

  1. My Mission President told us that, if we wanted to be successful, to work like the Devil because he never stops!

    ReplyDelete