Tuesday, July 30, 2013

All Is Well In Jamaica!

You're not 'fat-fat-fat,' you're just 'fat.' (This was the nicest compliment I got this last week). 

All is well in Jamaica. Everyday is something new, yet everyday has similar themes. We wake up to goats and chickens. We run on a gorgeous path and wave to all those who go walking in the morning. We come back, shower, eat bananas and watermelon. We study our scriptures and manuals for two hours. We go out on the road and meet with primarily less actives, quite a few investigators, and members every once in a while. During lunch we just lay on our beds with the fans on full blast. We go out again, and come back, plan, and go to bed. Everyday may seem the same, but being here in Jamaica makes it exciting and hilarious.

You meet the strangest people here. I swear, when I get home, nothing weird will phase me anymore. I met a guy this last week who claims he was the gang leader for the famous gang, "Bloods," in New York City. He told me he was imprisoned for 25 years and deported back to Jamaica. He told me to look him up on the internet. I don't remember his name, but I honestly think he was just telling a big fib, but it was funny to hear his story. I saw Father Abraham again! And once again he sang and danced for us. Oh man, I wish you all could meet this man. He would make so much money back in the states being a street performer. He is quite the character. He is probably the happiest person on this planet. 

We have just been looking for new investigators all week. We are talking to EVERYONE. We met a guy named Anthony, who is nice enough. He has a lot of scriptures in the bible memorized, so he always is trying to prove something to us. Last lesson I asked him if I could see his bible, and I took it away from him and wouldn't let him have it till the end. Hahaha! Sometimes you have to be rude with Jamaicans, because that is the only way they will understand something. Anyways, Anthony is a good person, but he brings up the weirdest things. It's really hard for him to believe the Book of Mormon, and honestly, he isn't going to believe it, unless he really wants too. We are just challenging him to read and pray. I know the Book of Mormon has power to change hearts, but if a heart is hardened and not ready to change, it won't make a difference. 

I attended my first funeral this last week. I've been to a memorial, but never a funeral. I refused to look at the dead guy, I seriously couldn't do it. You would think that since I'm always teaching about the Plan of Salvation, I would be okay with it, but I'm not. It was weird to think that this mans soul was no longer in his body. I know where his soul is, I know where he is going, but it still is unsettling. Plus, I didn't know him. The missionaries were asked to sing at the funeral. We sounded so bad. I was trying so hard not to laugh. Laughing at a funeral. I would do that. Thank heavens Jamaicans are not very good singers. 

The best part of this week was having three of our less actives at church! Hallelujah! It's nice to see a little progression in these people. We see them all the time, we give them lessons, but we haven't seen any results until now. So, hopefully they keep coming. Fingers crossed. Being a missionary is so hard. It's tough. It's fun, but exhausting. I think the hardest part is getting your hopes up, and then getting them shot down. The other night I was praying, and I realized I have to stop praying for what I want. I can not do this on my own, I need divine help. I also started thinking of the song, "Jesus Take the Wheel." I probably should focus more when I pray... Hahaha

I feel like I don't have much more to say. I'm enjoying learning each day. I think the biggest thingI'm going to work on this next week  is patience. Many who know me well, know that I greatly lack this Christlike quality. I'll let you know what I learn next week about it and how I applied it :) Anyways, love you all. 

XOXOXO (high fives and handshakes)
-Sister Pitt


Anthony and Father Abraham

Father Abraham

Meal Calendar!

Rastafarian

Rasta Man!

Sister Campbell is tiny!

Trying to teach a Rasta, but laughing instead

WELCOME TO LINSTEAD!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment