Tuesday, December 24, 2013

IT'S CHRISTMAS MON!

Christmas in Jamaica: Palm trees, rasta men trying to sell you things, sorrell, rice and gungu peas, fried chicken, reggae Christmas songs blasting from cars, so much traffic, poorly decorated Christmas trees, children who don't believe in Santa, off key 'Silent Night', a few people wearing Santa hats, and so much more. Despite the differences between here and America, I still feel that familiar Christmas spirit in my heart.

This last week was fantastic. First of all we had a missionary Christmas party. It was just with my current Zone, because the mission president decided to separate them this year. So, I gave each companionship a candy lei. (My mission president says, "Thank you Sister Pitt's mom!") Anyways, it was great. I am finally used to Jamaican food, so I loved what they made us. It was ONOLICIOUS. Barbecue fried chicken. We got to eat, get presents, watch a skit and video, and have a testimony meeting.

Oh, yes, so the Jamaica Christmas Devotional... What to say. So they were broadcasting it to all the parishes here in Jamaica as well as the rest of the world, but sadly they have terrible technicians, and it didn't really work. So, I didn't even get to watch it. My companions were in the devotional, so I stayed in Junction on a trade-off with Sister Walker again. I was really bummed I didn't get to watch it. BUT, I was there for the branch Christmas party, and that was fun. We basically just ate food and talked. Not that many people came, but that's okay. Oh speaking of the branch, I LOVE the branch president for Junction. He is about 25 years old, just got back from his mission. He is so funny, and he understands how difficult it is to work with branch leaders. He is extremely blunt and doesn't take peoples crap. I don't know, he just cracks me up. 

A Jamaican Christmas tradition is to paint their houses. Oh, and their rocks. We did service for six hours this last week. We painted peoples rocks in their yard. (Hey Grandpa Pitt, if you want your rocks painted, I'm a professional now). We were laughing about it. We also painted a persons house. It was actually really fun. The best way to spread Christmas cheer is.... painting a persons house, apparently.

Ohkay, so basically, I'm so excited for Christmas. Mainly to skype home, but also because the AMAZING new senior couple in our apartment complex is having us over for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day for food! We are also eating at another persons house, a real Jamaican Christmas meal.  

Now for my little Christmas thought, because I am a missionary.

At the missionary Christmas party, President and Sister Brown dressed up as Joseph and Mary. They were looking for a place to stay and they acted out going to a bunch of inns and no where had a place to stay. At first it was really funny, because the missionaries were the innkeepers, and they were like, "No room! Go away." or "Should have rethought having a baby on a night like this." After a while, I actually started to get really sad, because Sister Brown, who was acting like Mary started to cry, and President Brown who was Joseph looked desperate to find his wife a place to stay. The room got really intense as each innkeeper denied the mother of Christ. This little skit made me really think. How many times in our lives are we like the innkeepers, not making room for Jesus Christ? How many times do we put worldly desires first, instead of the desires of our Savior? We need to make room for Christ. We need to give him every inch of our heart and soul. 

Oh, I love the Christmas season. I love it because of traditions, I love it because of food, but mainly I love it because I get to really ponder the amazing event of the baby born in Bethlehem. I may be over 5,000 miles away from home, but that is okay. I love being here in Jamaica. I love serving others. I love helping people learn more about Jesus Christ. Merry Christmas everyone! 

JOY TO THE WORLD!
-Sister Caressa Ann Pitt


A GREAT Day In Mandeville!

I Got To Teach These Folks! LOVE Them!

A HUGE Papaya!

I NEED A Haircut!

Our District Bought Us CHOCOLATE!

President And Sister Brown With Leis

Thank You!

The Christmas Tree I Made!

The District

The Hudson Boys

The Hudsons!
I Just Love Jamaican Babies!

The Ice Cream Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment