Monday, March 31, 2014

Welcome Sister Barlow!

Ah, so I have the sweetest little trainee, everrrrrr. Her name is Sister Barlow, she is from Idaho. She is tiny and so cute. She was born to be a missionary. She is so amazing, and she has only been in Jamaica for a few days now. Man, it's so much easier to train the second time around. It is so funny to watch Sister Barlow react to Jamaica. She has a little bit of culture shock, but it's so funny because she is going through exactly what I went through when I first got here. I just forgot that there was a time that all of this was completely foreign to me. Now I'm so used to it, that I forget that certain things might be weird for her. haha It's all good though, she handles it like she is a pro. But, I've been able to go back in my mind to a year ago when I first got to Jamaica and tell her about all my funny experiences and getting used to the culture and the people. It's more fun to train an American, because Jamaicans are already used to all of this. 

Well, I just hate bad news, but sadly Martel (our investigator) is "in love" (white skin attraction) with me, and I told him that there is no way anything will ever happen between us. I also explained that as a missionary I am here to serve the Lord, and not pursue personal relationships. Poor guy. Why has God cursed me with my perfect body and ridiculously good looking face? hahahha I'm joking. Man, I'm really sick of this. I just want to teach a nice guy, who is interested in the Gospel and not in us as missionaries. Is that really too much to ask? 

Well we had another wonderful lesson in Treasure Beach. The lady, Sister Gayle, from Canada is on fire with missionary work. She is amazing. She invites so many people to hear about the Gospel, we are going to be busy, busy, busy with all of her referrals. People are way more receptive to hear about the Gospel down there. It's so weird, they are further away, yet they are more open to it. I really hope some of the elect few will find it in their hearts to make the 45 minute journey to church. I know it's not far, but transportation is extremely difficult on Sundays. They would have to pay extra to come. But, Sister Barlow and I taught a lesson to a big group of people about developing faith in Jesus Christ. The spirit was so strong. These family home evenings have been the highlight of my teaching on my mission, and I can't wait to do more of them. They are going to get better as we pray, plan, and prepare for them. We are also going to go around individually to these people to share more about the restoration and the Book of Mormon. I'm so excited about it. I really am. I fasted yesterday for success in that area. Another cool thing though is that Sister Gayle finally came to church yesterday! Oh man, it was awesome. When the sacrament was being passed, she had tears on her face, it must have been a long time since she has been in church. She understands the blessings, and now she is striving her hardest to be back in all of it. She is also super friendly towards everyone. She would walk up to everyone and just start talking, she is a social butterfly. She said when she was active in her ward in Canada, she was a Ward Missionary. It really shows. I'm so grateful for this experience. I really hope good comes out of this. 

I have learned a lot this last week. I have learned that faith means trusting in advance what will only make sense in reverse. I was a bit discouraged about staying in this area for three more months, especially because the results have been so minimum, but I know that I will push out as hard as I can the next three months so that I can look back and realize how using faith helped me and these people. I know sometimes things just don't make sense in the moment, but somewhere down the road, we will look back at our trails and smile. 

I'm grateful to have Sister Barlow, she has the spirit with her, and that is exactly something I need more. I've already been learning from her. She is humble and is willing to learn. We get along so well, I have no complaints. haha I'm excited to see how she grows in these next two transfers and especially how I grow as missionary as well. 

Love you all
Sister Pitt

P.S. Four girls, one bathroom=disaster.



Meet Sister Barlow!





Our Apartment Complex!



No comments:

Post a Comment